Upcoming Events in Southern Arizona
Join Casa de San Pedro for a relaxing stay and enjoy special birding events or special dinners to make your stay even more satisfying! Be sure to sign up in advance for special events by calling us toll free at 888-257-2050. The calendar below has a representation of a few of the many events in the area.
- Hummingbird Banding with SABO: Tom Woods and Sheri Williamson will be returning to the Casa on many afternoons, 4 - 6 p.m. this SUMMER for weekly Hummingbird Bandings - (mostly Friday afternoons, but some Sundays, Saturdays, or Wednesdays - check the calendar below!). Join them for an entertaining and educational hummingbird banding session June 29 - October 4th. Hold a hummer in your hand to release it! Amazing! Free for Casa Guests!
- More SABO Events in the Calendar below, including Carr Canyon Walks, Huachuca Canyon Walk, and Owl Prowls too!
Join your hosts Karl and Patrick in Panama: January 2016. Once again we are venturing to another of the world's birding hotspots on a tour designed by Peg Abbott of Naturalist Journeys. The tour will take us to some of the best birding locations in Panama. Details will soon be available at the Naturalist Journeys website where you can register for the tour.
Also do check the Naturalist Journeys web site
for other great tours including a tour to the Asa Wright Nature Center with Tom Wood and Sheri Williamson in June 2015.
- Sept 12-13, 2015: Migration Course by Kathe Anderson: Migration is a perilous journey. Yet, instinctively, billions of birds undertake the remarkable round-trip journeys every year to breed and raise their families. What compels birds to migrate? How do they find their way (especially at night when many songbirds migrate)? What are the hazards? Birders know the rush of Spring migration well, but sometimes overlook the more leisurely and prolonged possibilities of Fall migration, when we can see lingering summer species, as well as those on the move. This program is timed for both!
- Early bird bonus, Sat, Sept 12: watch the feeders with Kathe Anderson from 5:15-6pm to identify and discuss the birds that stop by
- Sunday Sept 13 Morning walk: Approximately 2 hours on a site to be chosen--perhaps San Pedro House and the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, with the hope of observing a variety of species—year-round residents, summer residents and migrants.
- Cost: $25 per person. Minimum two night stay at Casa de San Pedro required (either Friday + Saturday or Saturday + Sunday nights).
- Leave the program with a handout that provides notes from the evening program, and an appreciation for the miracles of migration.
- Oct 17-18, 2015: There are many reasons to keep a journal about your nature and birding experiences, not the least of which is to make you a better birder! Test your talents—at any level—during this beginner class to write about and draw birds, indoors and out.
- Saturday, October 17: Early bird bonus, watch the feeders with Kathe Anderson from 4:45-5:30pm to identify and discuss the birds that stop by. Then after dinner: In a short evening class (about 40 minutes), we’ll discuss the reasons to keep a journal, what a journal might look like, and do a couple of quick exercises for both writing and drawing.
- Sunday, October 18: Morning activities:
- We’ll concentrate on the feeders at the Casa, for about an hour to 90 minutes, to build on the evening’s class, with lengthier exercises, to become comfortable with a variety of ways to express yourself and record your birding adventures. Sharing work is encouraged throughout the class—there are no wrong answers!
- No trip to Casa is complete without a stroll by the San Pedro River, so those who would like about an hour’s outing are welcome to join Kathe, with or without journaling supplies, to see what might show up on a short bird walk.
- Cost: $25 per person for the Course. Minimum 2 night stay at Casa de San Pedro required (either Friday + Saturday nights or Saturday + Sunday nights.
For more detailed information about history tours, special events, stage/arts events, and festivals please click the following links for:Southwest Wings Spring Fling - May 6 to May 9th.Southwest Wings Birding Festival - July 30 to August 3Events in Bisbee, AZEvents in Sierra Vista, AZHuachuca Art Association
: Art in the Park - First Weekend in October annually; plus First Sunday Artist Receptions in the SV Mall Gallery monthly 3 - 5 p.m.; and Artist Potluck on the Second Saturday at the Astro Gallery in Hereford (4-6 p.m.)Huachuca Audubon Events and Walks
Nature Walks Visitors from all over the world come to see the more than 170 species of birds found in the preserve and surrounding national forest. Southwestern specialties such as painted redstarts and magnificent hummingbirds share the canyon with many other animals, including black bears, Chiricahua leopard frogs and dozens of species of butterflies. The canyon is also home to more than 400 species of plants, from tiny mosses to towering firs.
Guided walks are on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m. from March 1 to the end of October.
The reserve is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.